August Releases (Dump Month)

As I was scrolling down my Instagram feed, I found out that many of the films Rasha and I had watched this week like, “A Place In The Sun” and “Life With Father”, we actually watched on the day they were released and we also watched “Rear Window” on Alfred Hitchcock’s birthday...

 
Isn't it strange that they've all premiered the same day we decided to watch...


This actually happens to us a lot - maybe even always hehe

Spooky! or maybe I'm just truly The Queen of the classics hehehe

Anyway, after finding out, I tried to search for 1930s, 1940s, 1950s and 1960s releases in August and learned that August - along with January, February and September - is known in Hollywood as one of the “Dump Months”, because most of the films released then have low box-office expectations. It is thought to be the best time to release such films as less people frequent the theatres during those months.

Surprisingly though, a lot of big name films were released and rather had great receptions.

I was actually quite surprised when I learned about this as many of the films are among my favourites, so I guess to me it’s just like any other month.

I don’t believe all films released in those months were expected to be less profitable though. For instance I feel films like:

Sunset Boulevard (1950)

A Place in The Sun (1951)

From Here To Eternity (1953)

Roman Holiday (1953)

among others, where all stories happen during the summer or in hot climates, August probably seemed to be the most suitable time to release them, especially if they wanted people to feel the picture.

Plus a film like; Mary Poppins, 1964, was probably purposely released on this month to stand out or maybe because Disney usually has no competition. Who knows!

Other films like War and Peace, 1956, had a big list of stars that surely it wouldn't hurt them.

Of course films like The Quiet Man, 1952, I'd expect to be released in the dump. It was truly the most boring film I had ever seen...

Did you find any of your favourites released this month and do you agree that these productions deserved to be part of the dump?

P.S There were a lot more released obviously than the ones I have posted, but I just decided to post those I loved or liked.

Comments

  1. ‘The Quiet Man’ is THE worst film I’ve ever seen and it definitely deserves to be on the list. As for the others, I find it quite strange since most of the films listed are some of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know, I still can't believe we actually watched it all the way through hahahha

      Delete

Post a Comment