The Sultan And I

After writing about the Sultan's life on the previous post, I thought maybe I could now share a little about what he meant to me throughout my life.

Baba Qaboos بابا قابوس

Growing up, people in Oman - as anywhere else in the world - typically had family photographs around the house, but there wasn't a single house in Oman, that didn't proudly hang Sultan Qaboos's portrait at least in one part of their house.
Usually they were hung at the entrance hall - as ours was - to be the first thing seen upon entering the house. Come to think of it, even people who didn't have family photographs around, would still have a few of the Sultan's hung or set on tables.
It wasn't only because we were patriotic, but it was and still is, because he is part of our family.

He was a father to everyone. That is why, we call him Baba Qaboos.

I think as a child, no one could've loved Sultan Qaboos more than I.
I also think every child in Oman felt that way.
Even though I never met him in person, I just felt no one could love him more. Much like how you'd think you love your family more than your other family members, because you can't imagine anyone loving them more than you.
Maybe that's why we were always defensive about him. Our love for him was pure and that is only a reflection of his noble heart.

All school textbooks in Oman had a portrait of Sultan Qaboos on the front page. It was a great inspiration for us to see his face, everytime we opened a book.
And although I used to fill my books with blue-inked scribbles hehe, I never disrespected the Sultan by touching his page. His page was always clean and uncreased, much like his kind heart.

All Omani currency has a portrait of His Majesty on them, so there's not a day that goes by without us seeing his face.

A week after his death I think - or maybe two, Rasha was sending the driver to get something, so she had to handle money for the first time since...
She couldn't contain herself and started weeping. We then realised that we will no longer see that beautiful angelic face in our world again and maybe not on money either. Although I hope that is not the case. Instead, we should now have the current Sultan as well as all the past Sultans' faces on each currency to honour them, but most importantly, so we don't lose Sultan Qaboos.

 Rejoice! Qaboos Has Come أبشري قابوس جاء

Thinking about my school days - in relation to the Sultan - remains the hardest so far.
I remember, everyday during assembly, we stood before the flag and sang the National Anthem with great pride:


I didn't really sing as much as I mimed the lyrics, but my heart was in it anyway hehehe.
Long after finishing school, when schools surrounding our house played it every morning, I still felt a sense of strength and it still gave me goosebumps.

Of course, it would be much more difficult to listen to now...

A musician posted a beautiful yet dismal rendition of the song on Instagram, after his passing.


When the Sultan was alive, the National Anthem was a source of strength and pride and now - as the artist accurately expresses - it reflects the forlornness of the people. It truly feels, as they say; the death of a nation.

Being born in 1982, channels didn't run a 24-hour broadcasting as they do today, so whenever Oman Television went on air, the National Anthem played.
Every morning, my siblings and I would eagerly await that moment, and as soon as we see the flag on screen, we stand up straight, salute and sing with all our hearts. I don't think there ever was a time when any of us sat down whilst the anthem was playing; it was considered taboo in our household.

One Blood, One Race دم واحد عرق واحد


Sultan Qaboos's leadership played a great role in dispelling racism, because growing up, I truly didn't see colour.

Although Oman has a diverse culture, I don't remember ever feeling different from anyone else in school. Of course, I knew about different tribes and ancestors, but none of us ever clashed.
In fact, it only added to our closeness.


If Oman had only one race, one background, or even one religious sect, life surely would've been monotonous hehe

I remember the time, when I suddenly realised that people with a Zanzibari background, were actually black, I was surprised.
To me, black people were either from the African continent or the USA - hehe obviously I watched a lot of American films.
I don't know how to explain it, but I really just saw Omanis as Omanis - of course - but never as "black" Omanis or whatever as Americans like to label their people. Maybe that's why I really never noticed...

Even religous sects were never an issue, because nobody around ever addressed them.
Those who were Muslims had to take the same religion class, no matter what sect they belonged to.
The only time, as I recall, sects were ever addressed, was when we were taken to the school prayer room in one of the lessons and everybody started performing the prayer differently. Nobody saw it as a bad thing, because we were taught not to offend eachother by trying to prove which of us was doing it right. Instead, we indirectly agreed, that we were the same difference.

Sultan Qaboos put great emphasis in upholding our traditions, but at the same time, he let us take pride in what we add to the Omani culture. Each person can be proud of their background and celebrate it and also be proud and celebrate our joint culture; the Omani multiculturalism. Without judgement. 

And In Your Reign, O Qaboos, People Are Respected وَبِعَهْدِكَ يَا قَابُوسُ عَزَّ الإنْسَانُ

I never thought the subject of women's rights would be so important to mention, as the rights of all Omanis were respected and preserved by Sultan Qaboos from day one.

As a child, I never felt different from my brothers, my male classmates or anyone, because I had the same rights and opportunities. Actually, just as race to me, gender was never mentioned, because equality seemed like human nature to us.

Sultan Qaboos provided women with equal opportunities as men, it was just up to us to accept them.

“I congratulate myself for some things, such as the progress women have made.
I never said you must do this or you can't do that. I offered services, such as education, and let the families decide. And more of them than I expected chose to accept schools for girls from the beginning.
So we have been able to make progress and safeguard tradition.”
______________
Sultan Qaboos's Interview with Foreign Affairs - 1997

Only recently, and after this women's rights wave the world has been experiencing, did I realise how blessed Omani women were/are for having a leader who had a high regard for human rights.

A Voice for Renaissance صَوْتٌ لِلنَهْضَةِ

National Day celebrations were among my favourite days of the year, because we used to celebrate both in school and at the parade.

For school, we got to wear our national clothes.
Every year, my sisters and I would each decide on a region in Oman and dress in clothes belonging to it. That way, we never matched and never wore the same thing twice hehe.
I loved dressing up and wearing traditional jewellery, because other than traditional weddings, I had no other place to wear them.

Classes were pretty much the same as I recall, with a few short celebrations inbetween, but the atmosphere was friendlier than usual.

I remember I used to join a group of girls every year for National Day and form a dancing team. We usually performed either during school hours for parents, or at an evening celebration for everyone. It was such great fun!
When I was in grade 4, we performed أزهار الخمائل - which means Flower Shrubs? - for parents during the day. My mum and Rasha - who didn't go to our school back then because she was still in KG - came to see my sister and I perform the dance. I love that song and I always felt my heart ache with pride and absolute admiration, at the point where we mentioned Sultan Qaboos.
Our teachers loved our performance so much, they entered us in a national school competition. Many schools competed and we probably didn't win, because I don't remember hahahaha, but the experience was one of the best I had as a child and to see other girls proudly holding the Sultan's photograph was just heart-warming, even at the time.

There used to be National Day parade floats in the early 1990s I think, or maybe late 1980s, but they stopped doing them a long time ago. I remember My sister and I, once while dropping our private tutor to her house - because we were curious what it looked like hehe - we got stuck in traffic, but it sure was the least boring traffic I was ever in hahaha

The main festivities took place in the Sultan Qaboos Sports Complex every year, with dance performances by children from schools around Oman.

I remember in 1995, when Oman was celebrating it's Silver Jubilee, we we attended almost every event. As I'm overly sentimental, I kept the personal invitations hehe


There were four main events; The Students' Show, The Tattoo Display, The Military Parade, and The Folklore Festival.

I remember how excited we felt just getting ready to go. It was like a fun trip with the family. If we didn’t have school that day, we’d still wake up early, shower, pick our favourite clothes - or whatever our mum made us wear hehehe - and wait by the door until it was time for us to go , which meant hours hahaha. As soon as our mother says it’s fine to go, we’d gallop to the car and head straight for the stadium for the Students' Show. The roads were overflowing with colourful LED lighting, as they do every year around this time, but I think much more intensely.

I cannot describe the feeling upon entering the stadium. Just looking back it feels as though it were another world, and maybe so. People were much nicer then and loved much more than they do now, so whatever I remember would probably be a thousand times better than how we experienced it then.

As we entered, we saw families walking in an orderly manner and respecting people around them. Nobody pushed or shoved or yelled or had any negative attitude and everybody was generous with their smiles and greetings. It was a beautiful sight. Afterall, we were all meeting our father.

After finding our seats, everybody around us greeted us and offered us snacks and we reciprocated. We usually sent the driver to buy us snacks from the vendors and he comes back with enough snacks for us to offer others.

As soon as the Sultan arrived, the national anthem begins playing. We all stand straight and some children even salute, then we all sing in unison.



The shows every year exceeded our expectations. I remember my favourite part was the many group formations dancing into shapes with accurate synchronisation to the music. It must've been hard work, but it felt relaxing to watch.

At some point during the celebration - or maybe at the beginning - a few children, who are chosen before-hand, present the Sultan with a bouquet. They were the envy of every child in the stadium and back home watching the show on television hehehe.

The most awaited part of the show though, was when the Sultan gave his speech. We would all clap as hard as we could until our palms turn sore, because it never sounded loud enough. Even in the years where we didn't go and watched the show at home instead, we still stood and clapped. We loved him so much!

I loved the Tattoo Show, because it was fun watching the exhibition drills, but I think my favourite out of the four was the Folklore Festival, because I loved learning about traditional Omani music, dance and even games children used to play in the olden days. I remember my mum told us about some prior, so it was especially nice to finally see the game in action. There was a lot of comedy in it too, so we got to see a lot of laughs from the Sultan, which was gratifying.

I think although the shows were very entertaining to watch, our eyes were always focusing on the Sultan's reactions, to check if it was to his satisfaction. We always wanted to please him as he did us.

The Gift of Speech نعمة الخطاب

Sultan Qaboos's speeches are unparalleled. He gave the most motivating speeches every National Day.

“Extremism, under whatever guise, fanaticism of whatever kind, factionalism of whatever persuasion would be hateful poisonous plants in the soil of our country
which will not be allowed to flourish.”
______________
Sultan Qaboos's National Day Speech - 18th November 1994 (originally in Arabic)

His speeches were said with great eloquence and brevity, simultaneously, and with equal locution in both Arabic and English, which is a rare gift.


“I and my people who have, ourselves, fought through many bitter years of struggle to maintain our country's freedom -- and will do so again should the need ever arise -- are deeply conscious of this, for we know from our own experience that peace must go hand in hand with dignity and freedom; that life, if it is to be worth living, can only be founded on justice and respect for humanity and that these prizes are not easily won or preserved”
______________
Sultan Qaboos's USA Welcoming Ceremony Speech - 12th April 1983

In every speech, Sultan Qaboos would carefully select a Quranic verse that reflected his purpose and some of those were quoted to:
  • Encourage us to put immigrants/refugees before us
“but give [them] preference over themselves, even though they are in privation”
______________
The Holy Quran, Chapter 59 Verse 9
  • Make peace first
“And if they incline to peace, then incline to it [also] and rely upon Allah”
______________
The Holy Quran, Chapter 8 Verse 61 
  • Fulfill a promise
“So he who breaks his word only breaks it to the detriment of himself. 
And he who fulfills that which he has promised Allah - He will give him a great reward”
______________
The Holy Quran, Chapter 48 Verse 10

This addition made his speeches that much more affective, because Omanis are a very religious people, and seeing our leader seek guidance from and praise God Almighty in everything he achieves, doubled our respect and appreciation for him.

The Peacemaker محب السلام

I was always proud of His Majesty and with great reason; he never waged wars, never took sides, never put us at risk and never looked away when he saw injustice.

He was a proud pacifist and never wavered, even when attacked for his ethics. Instead, he continued to oppose wars and to promote justice and human rights in the region and the world.

All the while,  he made sure people understood that it was not a form of cowardice, but conscience that continuously kept him from accepting violence.
And every now and then, he would reaffirm to the world, that though peace is his priority, he won't allow anyone to take advantage of his policy:


“We wish only that we and all countries of the region should be left in A peace,
and to play our part in working for the peace of the world.
But let no one be under any misapprehension: our desire for peace does not stem from weakness.
If we should be attacked, we shall defend the sacred inviolability of our country
with all our strength and to the end”
______________
Sultan Qaboos's National Day Speech - 18th November 1980 (originally in Arabic)

Sultan Qaboos was very modest about his generous endeavours, that none of the kind services he had given, were ever mentioned by him. He never did anything for recognition nor for the sake of boasting. Infact, so many good deeds he had done, we only learned about after his death, when the people whom he had helped, started acknowledging his aid.

I think this is probably why I feel in Oman, we are less arrogant. Nobody likes to show off here, and we are most of us content. We undoubtedly learned from a great teacher.

Among his secret peaceful acts - that was misconstrued - was inviting both the Palestinian President and the Israeli Prime Minister for secret peace talks. Most of the corrupt media kept mentioning the Israeli side, as though it was just a friendly visit and not for purposeful reasons.

When the Israeli Prime Minister came, there was no welcoming ceremony nor a show of flags in the roads, unlike the celebratory welcome the Palestinian President recieved, yet none of that was ever mentioned.

After the talks were over and everyone had left, we were told through state television that the Sultan had instigated a peaceful meeting between the two countries. And I think the only reason the Sultan revealed the secret, was because he knew that there are malevolent people nearby, who might try to alter the intent behind it. Otherwise, he would've kept it undisclosed as all his other kind gestures.

Every Soul Will Taste Of Death
كُلُّ نَفْسٍ ذَائِقَةُ الْمَوْتِ

The Health Scare:
I remember when His Majesty left for a medical visit to Germany back in 2014, I felt temporarily incapacitated. We all did.

The only way I could explain it is that it was as though we were all children living in an abandoned city and our father left us home alone. And we didn’t know when he was coming back.

Strangely enough, I had never felt this way when he travelled for a political appointment or holiday in the past. I don't know why, but maybe it was the sudden realisation that he was only human, which meant, we might lose him someday...

For months, we waited for any kind of news to comfort us about his health, until His Majesty decided to grace our television screens on 5th November 2014, before our National Day (11th November) and address the nation with a heartwarming fatherly greeting.


He looked immensely frail and his voice, wispy. He changed so much in such a short amount of time, that it left us with an ambiguous feeling. Still, the happiness overpowered the anxiety and we were able to celebrate our National day with the most euphoric of feelings. In fact, our National Day turned into a National Month!

Many people compared this happiness to that of the renaissance - the time Sultan Qaboos ascended the throne.

The Merry Return:
On 23rd March 2015, and after a period of around nine months, Sultan Qaboos returns home.

My friend from school was visiting me for a few days, so Rasha, my sister-in-law and I took her out for Sushi, as soon as she arrived in Muscat.

While we were eating, we suddenly received a text message that the Sultan would be arriving today. We were overcome with felicity. Rasha and my sister-inlaw shocked my friend, by crying tears of joy and relief hehehe.

Actually, long before this day, back when I noticed that I cried at weddings and funerals with equal intensity - even for those that have no relations to me - I decided to work on holding it in hehe. I think it is good to feel things so very deeply, but after looking at myself on a video of my brother's engagement, weeping as though I had just witnessed a murder, I vowed to never reach that level of demonstrative emotion. I failed on almost every occasion...

Surprisingly though, in the most affecting situations, just as this, I was able to.

The feeling of merriment spread all around, that it was noticable even to my friend, who had never seen Oman before. She said that when she arrived, she didn't notice the gloominess in the people's faces and only realised it when she witnessed the transofmation after the good news broke out.

Everyone seemed to want to talk to eachother. We all greeted eachother and because we hadn't smiled in ages, when we did, it seemed like we had  just discovered a new expression. We all had the biggest comical smiles haha. Everywhere we went, they were giving out chocolates, cupcakes, flags and about anything they could give, just to express happiness.

Oh how I miss that feeling...

The Final Chapter:

On a gloomy day in December 2019, we recieved the news that the Sultan had left for a medical check up to Belguim. Everyone in the country was distressed, but still had hope.

After less than a week though, the Sultan returned to Oman...

There were many rumours about his health and everyone was saying there's probably no hope. I thought; how dare these people foretell his death, when we weren't given any official statement yet. As far as I was concerned, the less we knew, the more chance he had to live.

I hated reading comments like "Qaboos, please don't let go" or "What would we do without you!", because I felt they were rushing his death somehow. I know it wouldn't really make a difference, but I couldn't handle it. Anyway, who says that about someone, if they still could live...

Now cracks a noble heart. Good night sweet prince:
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!
______________
Hamlet Act V Scene II 

At 4:00 in the morning of the 11th January 2020, it was finally announced; Sultan Qaboos had passed away...


I was sound asleep at the time. At 5, Rasha called me as usual, to wake me for morning prayer. I told her that I hadn't slept much, so I'll stay in bed for another half an hour. She said all right, but I sensed from her tone that something was bothering her. Still, I went on sleeping, thinking that it was all in my head.
I woke up at 5:30 and prayed, then continued on with the supplications.
Around 6:00, Rasha came to my room, looking depressed and asked if I was done. I realised that there was something wrong afterall, so I asked, but instead of answering, she asked me if I had seen the message.

I knew there was something terrible, but it didn't cross my mind that it would be something about the Sultan, afterall, we had received news about his recovery just a few days ago.
Anyway, I didn't want to look at the message, so she had to tell me herself...

......
 
The Farewell:



Sultan Qaboos bid us farewell in the most dignified way. He requested a simple State funeral only for his people to mourn.

Throughout his reign, the Sultan made yearly tours around the country to meet with his people and listen to their needs. And on this day, he gave us the last tour, but we didn't get a chance to tell him, that all along, he was our only need...

We watched the funeral live on television. Thousands of people lined up by the roads waiting to see Sultan Qaboos for the last time. His flag-draped coffin was driven in the same car he had ridden, when he ascended the throne in 1970, symbolising his loyalty. And the Omani flag embracing his Majesty, as he had in his life served the flag.


He was taken from his home to the Grand Mosque, then laid in front of the crowd, where a short prayer commenced. While the prayer was still happening, the Royal Army gave their last oath... 

We promise the country,
We promise you,
And we promise God,
That we will be loyal,
By protecting this country,

O our pride!

His coffin was then taken to the Royal Family burial ground.

I think it truly only sunk in, that Sultan Qaboos had passed away, when the new Sultan was announced, while they were praying over the coffin in the Mosque. I didn't know how to react. I was relieved that everything ran smoothly, but still felt overwhelmed. It was hard hearing someone else's name after "His Majesty Sultan ...".

While we were waiting for the burial, we were shown all the proceedings that took place in announcing the new Sultan.

I was so proud that the Royal court agreed to read Sultan Qaboos's choice instead of voting themselves, although I never doubted they'd do. I would have sincerely been happy with any of them, but Sultan Haitham being chosen by Sultan Qaboos himself, was a great reassurance that he is undoubtedly the best choice for Oman.

When Sultan Qaboos was ill, we were all waiting for him to give us another speech as he did in 2014, but we never got it. He just left without saying goodbye, I thought...

But when they read out his statement and his last quote from the Holy Quran:

“And dispute not [with one another] lest you falter and your strength departs from you”
______________
The Holy Quran, Chapter 8 Verse 46

I was completely satisfied. Even more so that the rest of the verse - that he didn't include - said:

and be patient. Indeed, Allah is with the patient.”
______________
The Holy Quran, Chapter 8 Verse 46

I think there will always be a feeling of emptiness in every Omani, because we never could distinguish between Qaboos and Oman, to us, they are one and the same...
And eventhough it’s hard to imagine life in Oman could go on without him, it is God Almighty’s will and we have to accept it.

“Indeed! To Allah we belong and indeed, to Him we shall return
______________
The Holy Quran, Chapter 2, Verse 156

Now, more than ever, we must go on. We must continue to live and prosper. We must make Oman as he intended; A peaceful harbour for all who seek it. A welcoming and accepting place for other religions and cultures. An economically developed country, that prides in tradition. A centre for intellectual development and accomplishment. A champion in the protection of animals and the environment. And many good attributes that Sultan Qaboos achieved to shape Oman into a loved and respected nation, by all who come across her.

And Sultan Qaboos will remain until eternity infolded within every Omani's heart...


May God Almighty grant you a place in the highest heaven, our beloved.

Comments

  1. Reading this post made it incredibly hard to breath or see. This is the most the most depressing post I’ve ever read, but I love it so much because as always you write from your heart and everything was beautifully put.

    “And the Omani flag embracing his Majesty, as he had in his life served the flag.” (very well put Masha’Allah).

    Insha’Allah we meet someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry sisi...

      I tried to tone down the dismalness, but I guess it's impoosible to pull off...

      Thank you. Ameen!

      Delete

Post a Comment