RIP Stanley Donen

One of the most prominent film directors of the golden era; Stanley Donen, passed away today at the age of 94 years due to a heart failure.

 Stanley Donen, 1958  

There is this strange coincedence that happens to me and my family everytime someone famous dies, we usually watch something about them - either a documentary or a film - and wake up to find that they just passed away. This time Rasha and I watched Funny Face, 1957 the day before...

I did not realise how many of his films I had already watched until I checked his biography, so I'm curious to know what you've watched and what are among your favourites.

Watched:
  • On The Town (1949)
  • Royal Wedding (1951)
  • Singing In The Rain ( 1952)
  • Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (1954)
  • Funny Face (1957)
  • Indiscreet (1958)
  • Once More With Feeling (1960)
  • Surprise Package (1960)
  • Charade (1963)

Rasha and I had watched a quarter of The Grass Is Greener, 1960 before we realised it would get worse, so I can't add it to the list but I know I won't ever either...

Favourites:
  • Singing In The Rain ( 1952)
  • Funny Face (1957)
  • Once More With Feeling (1960)
I've only watched Charade once, but it was very suspenseful and hilarious at the same time so it might go up on the favourites' list, but I'll have to watch it again to find out.

Singing In The Rain was my favourite growing up and it has a special place in my heart because it reminds me of my family, childhood and good old London! Besides that, it has a few of the catchiest songs in films.

Funny Face is the best fashion-related classic film I've ever seen and other than having a few of the best stars in Hollywood; Fred Astaire, Audrey Hepburn and Kaye Thompson, it can be enjoyed by even non-classic fans.

Once More With Feeling is one of the funniest films I have ever seen plus Yul Brynner is in it so enough said.

After looking over his collection of films - even those I haven't watched - I realised what a great director his was and cannot believe he never recieved an Oscar except the Honorary Award in 1998:


That was one of the cutest acceptance speeches hehe, anyway....

What Are Your Favourite Donen Films?

Comments

  1. What a joy to see a new post in your blog (albeit very late)! A very good one, as usual.

    I don't think I had ever taken notice of Stanley Donen until the day of his death (shame!). I realize now that the few of his movies that I've seen (namely Singin' in the Rain, Funny Face and Charade) all have in common a very sober elegance. Funny Face is probably my favorite, it features that wonderful opening sequence and some of my favorite musical numbers, thanks chiefly to Kay Thompson (the "Think Pink" scene where Mrs Prescott preaches the new trend and is soon the first to deny it is hilarious haha).

    That is indeed a cute acceptance speech, and how suitable for a musical titan to do it in song. But he sounds a bit ironic when mentioning the proper stars for a musical, that era seems irrevocably gone now (although I realize that he was only jesting). May Mr Donen rest in peace. Have a fine week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Luke!
      It's always wonderful to see your comments, I've missed them hehehe
      I actually miss posting too, but somehow I cannot find the time to blog these days. Will try to attempt it again though, because it is one of my favourite hobbies.

      Thank you for always writing the best comments, almost feels like a informative post! If you ever think of blogging, please let me know, I'd love to see your view on things.

      Delete
  2. This is interesting...I wrote a huge comment here last month and it’s not here...
    My favourites are:
    - Funny Face
    - Once More with Feeling
    - Singing in The Rain

    Singing in the Rain is my favourite because of the family and childhood memories. I still love it, just not as much as I used to.

    Funny Face is my favourite out of the list...and one of my all time favourites.

    Once more with Feeling is hilarious, and Yul Brynner turned it into one of my favourites, but I still can’t get over their choice of the leading actress...Kendall Kay didn’t seem right to star as a lead. Maybe a supporting actress, but surely not a lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As usual we share the same opinions on things!
      I agree, I think certain films have less appeal to me now, eventhough they were my favourites as a child, because the cast aren't among my favourites.
      With most films I think that is what makes us rate them lower and visa versa. We usually rate films with stories that aren't as great, because the acting was superb and the actors are our favourites.

      Yes I agree, Kendall Kay really ruined it...shame...

      Delete

Post a Comment