Who Is Your Favourite Horror Film Director?

Today's question is about which director is your favourite in terms of Horror or Thriller films. Although I am sure there are many great directors, you should choose those whose work is mostly based on horror/thriller or those who are better none for the genres.


It is always difficult to choose one of anything - at least for me - especially if we are talking about a genre in a general sense, but I'll try anyway.

Alfred Hitchcock


I don't think any classic film fan can say they don't like at least one of his films. I've seen around 15 to 20 of them and if I didn't end up loving or liking them, I still wouldn't regret having watched the films. The only thing would keep me from liking some of them is probably the casting.

I love his style because he didn't only concentrate on the story or location but he always made sure the stars looked glamorous and the set designs appealing. I don't think I've ever watched one film without wishing I had a dress or a bag like the ones in it.

There are obviously some quirkiness in his directing - especially in the final scenes - but it is what makes him stand out I think and it is what makes everyone who's not a fan of thrillers, enjoy watching his films.

Hitchcockian films always have smart, witty characters who are very expressive and who engage in very quotable conversations and the stories are always suspenseful until the very end.

One of my favourite parts to watch out in his films though, are his cameos. They are always funny because he does the most normal nonchalant actions hahaha

Hitchcock Thrillers I Love:
  • Rebecca (1940) 
  • Rope (1948)
  • I Confess (1953)
  • Rear Window (1954)
  • Dial M For Murder (1954)
  • The Birds (1963)
Hitchcock Thrillers I Like:
  • Suspicion (1941)
  • Stage Fright (1950)
  • The Trouble With Harry (1955)
  • The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
  • Vertigo (1958)
  • Psycho (1960)
So almost everything I watched hahah

I just realised that my favourites always shift from love to like and visa versa. practically daily hahhaha

William Castle


I think I've watched around eight of his films and I love Castle's style because his horror/thrillers are always packed with new fun techniques and sarcastic anecdotes. He always has an introductory talk with us before the film begins, to explain new gimmicks on certain films.

Even if the stories turn out silly, the jokes can make the two hours pass without any boredom.

I really enjoy his sense of humour. His endings though, are almost always explained by some kind of character admission, which sometimes ruins the whole film. I do think though, that it might probably be, so his films can be enjoyed by any age group.

Castle Films I Love:
  • House on Haunted Hill (1959)
  • 13 Ghosts (1960)
  • The Night Walker (1964)
  • I Saw What You Did (1965)
Castle Films I Like:
  • Strait-Jacket (1964)

Robert Aldrich


I added him because I love his style, even though I can't say that most of his films I had enjoyed watching. Still two of my very favourite thrillers were his.

His psychological thrillers are the most sad in my opinion and his characters who are supposed to be the killers are, at the same time, almost always the victims as well.

Aldrich Films I Love:
  • What Ever Happened To Baby Jane (1962)
  • Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte (1964)
Ciao!

Comments

  1. ...okay so the directors are exactly what I have for my list which I’m posting tomorrow. It’s absolutely barmy how our answers are always alike.
    What films didn’t you like of Robert Aldrich?
    There are many I want to see that we haven’t yet. Two starring Jack Palance.
    Love how yours posts are never dull and lifeless, I always go back and read them for fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually am not surprised we like the same directors, but I thought you’d probably add someone extra that hasn’t crossed my mind hehe it’s good to know I got the good ones in haha

      I think the only other thriller film we watched of Aldrich’s that I didn’t like was “Picture Mommy Dead”, 1966. I was so disappointed that it wasn’t anything like the others...

      The other one is that Rock Hudson and Kirk Douglas one but that’s not thriller anyway.
      I thought there was another film that I didn’t like, but I guess it was someone else’s film hehe

      Actually when I reread my post right now, I believe I was sleep typing Hahahaha I’ll have to edit some parts to make a little more sense but thank you sisterrrr

      Delete

Post a Comment