REVIEW: The Ghost And Mrs Muir (1947)

Title: The Ghost And Mrs Muir
Release Year: 1948
Genre: Drama, Romance and Fantasy
Cast: Rex Harrison, Gene Tierney and George Sanders
Plot: A widow moves out of her in-laws' home to a seaside cottage with her daughter and maid and finds out it's haunted by the former owner.
Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️


Review: This is one of my favourite films of all time. I especially love watching it on rainy days. Actually all good films should be watched when it's raining.

Many years ago, after learning that both my favourites had starred in The Ghost And Mrs Muir, Rasha and I had bought the DVD. I got extremely excited when it arrived and still am as happy as I was then. I don't think I'll ever get over it!

The film is based in England at the turn of the 20th century as was stated at the beginning, though the filming actually took place in the USA.
I love period films especially about the 1900s. I just love the lifestyle and fashion of that time.

Theme:
As the film had a seaside theme, it was great to find that most of the phrases used were relating to it, despite the purpose for which they were used. For example the publisher used words like Bilge which meant "rubbish" in the context, but it is also what an area on the outer surface of a ship's hull, is called.

Naturally as Captain Gregg was obsessed with the sea, most of his language was associated with it and even in his name-calling he used animals of the sea, like Mud Turtle or Grampus.
I enjoyed those childish instances very much. They were extremely funny and entertaining.

Muir is actually a word for "sea" in Scottish Gaelic. Captain Gregg was a seaman and thus was married to the sea, which could also mean that at the end of the film he actually did marry the sea; Mrs Muir.

Of course all this would be credit to the Author R. A. Dick (a pseudonym of Josephine Leslie) who had published it two years before the film. This book is on my reading list so I'll review it as soon as I find a copy.



There was another theme that was more subtle and it's Mrs Muir's transition from a housewife who lived behind the shadow of her former husband to a strong "obstinate" woman. The book she wrote could be percieved as an escape from her reality. With the surroundings and nature of the house, she probably could have come up with a story like Blood And Squash.

Though I don't believe she had written it herself, her doubting herself, was evidence enough for the change she had felt in her personality.

Captain Gregg was childish and believed he was living "a man's life" but through Lucy or "Lucia" as he would call her, he found that his life was just a riveting story of a seaman and not a life a man's worth living for...without someone to love.

While both characters had shown signs of independent insight into what route in life they should have taken, I still loved that they only realised that, through helping eachother grow. It is a true sign of a good and healthy relationship.

Characters:
Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn had originally been chosen to play the leads but after sometime, Tracy had doubts about the project, so they both withdrew from it.
Having them in the film, might've turned out great but it would've transformed the story into something completely different. They both can be romantic but not always when their characters have more depth. Anyway, I think Hepburn would've been too cooky for Mrs. Muir even without having the ability to see the dead, so I would've probably been confused whether she was a sane character or if she was intentionally insane. Tracy would've been too slow to respond with such quick and animated rude remarks.

Norma Shearer, Claudette Colbert, and Olivia de Havilland were among the first to be considered for the role of Mrs Muir.
While I don't like Shearer's acting, I absolutely detest Colbert's, so I'm glad neither were chosen. I can see de Havilland playing the part, but I don't think I would've enjoyed it much.


I am very happy Gene Tierney was finally chosen for Mrs Muir or else I might not have seen the film - since she was the reason I purchased the DVD in the first place. At least not for a long time.

For Mrs Muir's portrayal, Tierney recieved great critical acclaim but unfortunately did not win anything to show for it. Eventhough I always say she acts best as a villainess, this is actually my favourite character she had ever played.


One character flaw and it's something I notice about almost every Tierney role, is that no matter how rude or mean her character was, she's always seen as a fairly nice person. For instance in this film, Mrs Muir was disrespectful of her mother-in-law even though she was obviously good to her. All while watching I had hoped Mrs Muir would show some form of kindness or compassion towards her or at least be a little more appreciative.


Rex Harrison is one of my favourite actors. He was always perfect for roles that were a bit impertinent. He did make his character unrealistic with the over acting, but I think that played well with the surrealism of the storyline.

George Sanders played the egotistical children's author. This was the first film I've seen Sanders in and he instantly became a favourite of mine. Most of his roles are similar because nobody does them better. I mean his voice alone is enough to mesmerise anyone hehe

All the other characters were great especially Robert Coote (the real estate agent) and excluding Edna Best (the maid). Only after watching the film thirty or more times did I finally accept her.

The Ending:
At first, I had wished for a way for Captain Gregg and Mrs Muir to somehow be together, but later on accepted that Mrs Muir needed to prove to them both that she really was in love with him eventhough he was just a spirit.
After a long period of loneliness and doubt, she did get rewarded in the end, but this time she understood what Captain Gregg had felt when he longed for her unattainable love and appreciated him.
The ending was a little depressing and whenever I watch it, I always try my best to fight the tears. It was still the most romantic outcome though, so I wouldn't want to change it for the world.

Fashion:
There were three costume designers behind this film; Charles Le Maire, Behm Eleanor - who were in charge of the whole cast - and Oleg Cassini - who was in charge of Tierney (his then wife).
Although Cassini's original designs were great, for me, he excelled in costume design, especially when it came to his wife. I loved all of Tierney's dresses in the film. I always wished we could still dress this way without seeming over-dressed.

I read a comment while writing this review - the first time round - about the sudden change in fashion. After around 10 years when Mrs Muir's daughter returns home from college, the fashion shifts to the 1940s instead of 1920s.

I believed that too, at first, but when I observed the designs closely, I can see, it was a blend between both decades.
Tailored women's suits in the 1920s were similar to the 1940s, but with longer skirts and waistlines and were hanging loose. Shoulder pads on the other hand, only became popular in the 1930s, after designer Elsa Schiaparelli included them in her collection.


Tierney's suit was cut more uniformly and had shoulder pads just the way they were designed in the 1940s. Still it could be that it was influenced by the fashion in the time of filming. Costume designers then and now tend to add little changes without necessarily draining the principles of fashion of the period played. This is either made to bring the fashion with the times or to find the best way to make it look good on the star wearing it.
These small subtle changes did not ruin the transformation for me.

Oddities:
One of the funniest things and the most annoying, was how much older Mrs Muir looked than her maid when they grew old. Illnesses could make a person look older but that was extreme.

There was this part in the film where a man carved Anna Muir's (played by little Natalie Wood) name into a post by the seaside so that all the ships passing would see it. He carved it facing them and not the sea though hahaha


Favourite Quotes:
Lucy Muir: You can be much more alone with other people than you are by yourself, even if it's people you love.
____________________________________

Lucy Muir: I wish you wouldn't swear. It's so ugly.
Captain Gregg: If you think that's ugly, it's a good thing you can't read me thoughts!
 
Adaptations:
In 1968 a television series with the same name was made starring Hope Lange and it ran for two years.
I am not a fan of Lange - as you well know by now - but I'm curious as to how she portrayed Mrs. Muir because she had won two Best Actress Emmy's (for each season) for that role.
I found the first episode on YouTube, if you're curious:



In 1990 there were talks about a remake of the film, starring Sean Connery and Michelle Pfeiffer, but it never went through. I don't know how that would've turned out. It might've been good but nothing could surpass the classic's greatness!


Well anyway, I'm starving and it's lunchtime so if you haven't already watched this film do so immediately, if not for the love of Rex and Gene, watch it for the magic!

Comments

  1. WOW!!! This is honestly the best review I’ve read about ‘The Ghost and Mrs Muir’ or any film actually.
    You really put every detail. I enjoyed reading this just as much as I did watching the film...and you know just how much I love this film.
    I actually read this review twice in a row because I loved it so much...heheh.
    Now enough about you...So, about the film. Well I’m more than happy that both Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn didn’t star in it, for exactly the same reason you mentioned. I agree that although they have great chemistry, they don’t do romantic in that depth. And you’re absolutely right about Katherine Hepburn’s cooky-ness.
    I think I would’ve loved the film if Olivia de Havilland played the role of ‘Mrs Muir’ but I think Gene Tierney is a huge part of the reason why it’s one of my very favourites...and I think Olivia de Havilland would’ve made the character a bit more mature...or flirty? Haha I don’t know, she always gives me this vibe in her roles, maybe because she’s always over-acting.
    I wish they did the 1990’s remake, especially that Michelle Pfeiffer would’ve been in it...I used to be obsessed with her in the 1990’s hahha!
    But ofcourse I don’t think it would’ve topped this version. Still, it would’ve been nice to have another great film in our 90’s list other than ‘You’ve Got Mail’.
    Thank you for this marvellous review that made me want to watch the film immediately even though we’ve watched it over a million times...bring on the rain!
    Since there’s no rain, I’ll just re-read this review...heheh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahha thank you very much (Lucy) I loved your comment as much as watching the film too hehehe

      Yes I’m positive Olivia de Havilland would’ve done a great job with the role but as you said Tierney made me love the character. Besides Rex used his over the top tough voice so Olivia’s over acting wouldn’t have balanced it.

      Yes I wished they had made the 1990 version too, too bad they let that idea pass.

      I hope it rains soon so we can watch and also I want to feel it’s autumn 🍂 but if it will take a while, maybe we should just watch it anyway hehehe

      Delete

Post a Comment