REVIEW: The Big Hangover (1950)

Title: The Big Hangover
Release Year: 1950
Genre: Comedy with hints of drama
Cast: Van Johnson and Elizabeth Taylor
Plot Summery: A lawyer is offered a job at a prestigious law firm and they eventually learn about his peculiar drinking problem.
Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️_ _

Review: I came across this film years a go, in the search for some Elizabeth Taylor films from the 1950s, because I hadn't watched enough, at the time.

The story is about a graduate honour student of law, who had been offered a job in a prestigious law firm but has a secret, a peculiar drinking problem, that the owners don't know about. Meanwhile, he falls in love with the daughter of the CEO, who offers to help cure him of his ailment.


Although the story is generally comical, there was a dramatic subplot attached to it. They indirectly tackled the issue of racism and inequality, through the new lawyer's determination to fight injustices, unlike his superiors, who were responsible for the problems behind the subject he was defending.

I guess they thought it would be clever to add it to a comedy, so that these issues can be addressed to a different audience then say, fans of drama. Still, I felt this blend of drama and comedy did not mesh well because the main story was too slapstick to have a serious note.
It's a very entertaining film to watch, but it could've been better had they stuck with it being just a comedy.

The Characters:
Van Johnson played the graduate lawyer, who has an issue with drinking. Whenever he gets just a sip, he gets extremely drunk and makes a fool of himself. The fun his coworkers have, at making a fool of him, is the best part of the whole film.


Johnson's acting is not my favourite and I never understood how he was ever chosen to be a lead in any film. He always looked cross and in pain, no matter if it was a funny part or a serious one, at least in the films I've seen him in.
I think part of the reason why this film didn't succeed was because of his casting.

Taylor played the CEO's daughter who - convieniently - happened to be a psychoanalyst. She fell inlove with the new lawyer and set about curing him. I loved her character, eventhough she was a younger version of her father which was bad, she was still a tad nicer.

I didn't feel her character suited Van's because unlike him, she accepted her father's bigotry and didn't care to change it. For someone who had more sympathy for others, I don't think he should've been attracted to her. It's not always about looks.


The beautiful Taylor was only 18 years old when the film was released, around the same time she married Conrad Hilton, and she looked stunning as usual.
I loved her best in rich bratty girl roles because it suited her the most.

Edgar Buchanan, who played the secretly rebellious uncle and Gene Lockhart who played the sly and childish lawyer were perfect for their roles. They are amongst the best character actors and they never fail to make me laugh. They instantly made the film better.

The Ending:

Nobody changes in the end of the film, except for his illness, which is why the drama part was unnecessary. Who knows, maybe they wanted it to be more realistic - in a sense that you can't always change people's mindsets - in a very unserious film.

The film barely made a profit for MGM and now you know why hehe. It wasn't a bad film but it wasn't great either. I'd still watch it for Taylor though.

Comments

  1. Were there other actors considered for Van Johnson’s role? I really wish there were, because the film would’ve been a lot more entertaining had he not been in it. Although, this was actually the film he least bothered me in. Still, I wish someone else got the part...maybe Monty?
    I totally agree with you about the drama/comedy part. They should’ve just stuck with comedy...it actually made the film a bit boring because it didn’t blend.
    A
    You’ve discribed Van Johnson’s acting perfectly...exactly how I always feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I haven’t found any information about the casting. I’m sure there were other actors considered for his role though, because I cannot believe they would have him in mind for a lead, especially playing opposite Elizabeth Taylor.
      Yes I guess he wasn’t so bad in this film but I too wished Montgomery Clift was in his place!!! Oh how that would’ve made the film much better. Maybe even the dramatic part would’ve blended more with story because Monty usually knows how to balance his acting.

      Delete

Post a Comment