Deborah Kerr

Today is September 30th, Deborah Kerr's Birthday. Had she been alive, she would've turned 97 years old today!

 
I had searched endlessly for any photographs of her birthday when I first posted this on Instagram, and I tried to search again, but they were and still are very difficult to find, so she'll be joined by Clark Gable and Myrna Loy this year and maybe next year, if none come up, I'll make one myself hehe.

Kerr's Biography:
Deborah Jane Kerr-Trimmer was born on 30th September 1921 in Helensburgh, Scotland and had her education in Bristol.


Kerr was trained to be a ballerina but decided to change her career path, when she became a teenager and with the help of her aunt - who was a radio star - she landed some stage work.

In 1941, a major British producer scouted Kerr and cast her in Major Barbara and Love On The Dole. These lead to a successful career in British cinema and landed her major roles that caught the attention of producers in Hollywood.

In 1945, she married her 1st husband and eventually had two daughters.

In 1947, she signed with MGM and was cast in many films, but only after taking up roles that didn't require her to be proper - like From Here To Eternity, 1953 - that she received high Hollywood status.

In 1956, Kerr achieved the most success in her career after starring in The King And I.


In 1959, she divorced her 1st husband.


In 1960, she married her 2nd husband with whom she stayed married until her death.
 
 
Although she maintained success throughout the 1950s and 1960s, she decided to retire in 1968, after finding that cinema was turning violent and far too dirty.

She did make a comeback in the 1970s and 1980s, but only in television.

Deborah Kerr holds the record for the most Academy Award nominations for Best Actress without a win. She was nominated six times.

She did receive an honorary Oscar for her screen achievements in 1994 though.

In 2007, she passed away due to Parkinson's disease
. 

What Are Your Favourite Kerr Films?
I've only watched a handful of her films so far. Of course there could have been more, but I'd give up half way through watching when I realise the story is boring me to death. Alas, I do have favourites - and they are amongst my ultimate classic favourites too - so here's my list:
  • The Journey, 1957
  • An Affair To Remember, 1957
  • The Innocents, 1961
The Journey is my favourite of the three mentioned, but unfortunately, it is highly underrated. An Affair To Remember is the most popular of the bunch and I love it, but it isn't my favourite favourite because there are some annoying parts I felt made the story less romantic. The Innocents I had watched last Halloween and it terrified me to death. I don't think I'd like to watch it again, but it's definitely at the top of my thriller list.

I'm sure most people would say The King And I is amongst their favourite Kerr films, but not for me. It was certainly one of the films I enjoyed as a child but when I re-watched it a few years ago, I didn't like it much. Hmm maybe I should give it another chance, at least for Yul's sake.

As I was searching for pictures to post, I realised there were plenty of good Kerr films I should try to watch, so I'll add some to my list and I would be grateful for recommendations.

What Are Your Favourite Kerr Quotes?


All successful people these days seem to be neurotic. Perhaps we should stop being sorry for them and start being sorry for me – for being so confounded normal
_
Deborah Kerr

Comments

  1. Love that quote...heheh
    I still can’t believe she was born in 1921, she always seemed older than the male leads who played opposite her.
    She was a great actress and I one of the best, but she had no allure, glamour or seduction, which ruined a few films for me where her that was needed, like in ‘An Affair to Remember’ or ‘From Here to Eternity’ and even ‘The Journey’.
    She has a beautiful gentle, kind, sophisticated and a more comfortable look and personality which suited films like ‘The Innocents’ or ‘The King and I’.
    I also think she would’ve been great in ‘African Queen’. I feel that role could’ve been hers had it been in the late 1950’s.

    My favourites are:
    - The Journey
    - An Affair to Remember

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you wrote about her is exactly how I feel, you just always know how to express it so beautifully.
      I think although the wrong roles landed her much success at the time, it didn’t give her a legendary status. I wish she had stuck with what suited her but that’s Hollywood for you. They ruined everything!
      Now that you mention it, she would’ve been perfect for the role of Hepburn in African Queen!

      Delete
    2. Haha what are you talking about? I just read what I wrote and I don’t know where my mind was when I wrote that...completing things in my head or adding words out of nowhere hahaha!
      And you’re right...the roles given to her only gave her success at that time.

      Delete
  2. I have only seen 2 movies of hers:
    1. an affair to remember .... watched it first time when I was at collage bc of sleepless in seatle
    2. The King and I ... love her in both those moves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember I always wanted to watch ‘An Affair To Remember’ because of ‘Sleepless In Seattle’ too, it almost looked like a trailer of the film hehehe

      Delete

Post a Comment