REVIEW: The Glass Slipper (1955)

Title: The Glass Slipper
Release Year: 1955
Genre: Romantic Comedy, Musical, Fantasy
Cast: Leslie Caron & Michael Wilding
Plot: A comedic take on the fairytale story of Cinderella.
Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ _


Review: I watched this some time ago & couldn't believe I didn't earlier! It was so unique. It had everything a fairytale should have; romance, comedy and a hint of reality. I was so happy they didn't stick with the original story - not that I have a problem with that...I just don't think Caron would be suitable for the original.

I like Caron but when I read she was starring in it, I thought it's going to be a long film. Whenever she stars in a musical you know there are going to be many dance sequences and very long ones at that - just like Gene Kelly.

In this film, I think some of the dance sequences were unnecessary because firstly, they just seemed to drag the story and secondly, they didn't embrace her dance talent because the choreography wasn't anything special. Other than that though, I think she did great.

Michael Wilding was alright I guess. His acting is always neutral...I think they should've cast someone with some dance training because...well...it's a musical and in scenes where he had to dance, it was too obvious, there was a double. Also, he kind of ruined some of the dance sequences because he just stood there doing jack while all the other men danced with her. I just think if he could neither dance nor act well...then why couldn't they have gotten someone else. They could've cast Mel Ferrer opposite her again since "Lilli", 1953, was such a success.


Wilding was probably cast because of the publicity surrounding his marriage to Elizabeth Taylor. Well that, stupid move resulted in a loss at the box office.

Anyway at least he couldn't ruin the storyline. I think the story wasn't mere fairytale but there's something very human about it. In the beginning of the story, a narrator tells a story of a girl who was mistreated for being rebellious, but she only became rebellious for her mistreating. Even though, it was funny seeing Cinderella acting that way, the words of the narrator were so deep...you couldn't help but feel heartbroken for her.

Cinderella tells everybody she'll live in the palace some day, but when she imagines the palace it's so dull and empty, no matter how much she tries to beautify it. I felt very sorry for her, something I wouldn't feel much when watching a fairytale, that's probably why I think this adaptation was very unique.
 Debbie Reynolds visits Leslie Caron on set                              

There were many funny scenes especially of Estelle Winwood, the fairy godmother, I think whenever she comes into the picture, I just hold my breath because I know she'll say or do something hilarious!

One of the funniest things said was by one of the step sisters:

Serafina: Oh yes! We're very fond of Paris.
Prince Charles: Oh, you know Paris?
Birdena: Oh, we don't precisely know Paris, but we're very devoted to it, aren't we, Cousin Loulou? It's so French!

I really enjoyed watching this and if you enjoy unconventional fairytales, you will too!

Comments

  1. I love this film, but love your review more!
    Michael Wilding annoyed me a lot, especially the second time we’ve watched it.
    Leslie Caron was great, but I still wish it wasn’t someone else. Audrey Hepburn and Mel Ferrer were both perfect for this film! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waaaaaaaaah I wish it was Mel and Audrey! That would’ve been perfection! Also we would finally be able to see them happily ever after not like in ‘War & Peace’ and ‘Mayerling’!

      Delete

Post a Comment