Memoirs

Today is "We Love Memoirs Day".

1_John_Florea_1948_42_John_Florea_1948_2
3_John_Florea_1948_34_John_Florea_1948_7

Although Memoirs are among my favourite genres to read, I haven't read as many. The ones I did read though, turned out to be my favourite books.

What is a Memoir?
A memoir is a historical and biographical account of an event or period of time in ones life. Unlike biographies that can be written by a second party, memoirs are written by the person who had experienced it.

What are your favourite Memoirs?
Mine are:

IMG_8383
  • Childhood by Maxim Gorky (1978)
  • The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls (2005)
I will be reviewing those at a later date but I highly recommend them both!

I love memoirs because you learn so much more from them. When you read about real people, you notice your own self more and thus, find the good and bad in your own personality. This way you are able to fix the bad and appreciate the good.

5_John_Florea_1948_66_John_Florea_1948_87_John_Florea_1948_19_John_Florea_1948_5

A Memoir can also teach you how to deal with things in a better way, especially if you've gone through something similar. You learn how to react to things more calmly and maturally.

A Memoir can be a bridge between cultures and backgrounds. You will definitely be more open-minded and understanding from it.

What are the top memoirs on your reading list?
  • By Myself by Lauren Bacall (1978)
  • Self-Portrait by Gene Tierney (1982)
  • The Home: A Memoir of Growing Up in an Orphanage by Richard B. McKenzie (1996)
  • Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter by Adeline Yen Mah (1999)
  • The Liars' Club by Mary Karr (2005)
  • Educated by Tara Westover (2018)
The Lauren Bacall one has an updated version that she made in 2005 with 70 some pages more. She renamed it By Myself and Then Some. I really want the first edition because I love the cover hehehe but if I like it, then I'll get the other.

The last one I actually have to read for the bookclub, so I'll probably read it this week. Most of the time I don't like the books our bookclub chooses but this one sounds good. I would love to get more recommendations though, so I can read them outside of the bookclub. If you have any, please share!

Comments

  1. Also one of my favourite genres.
    I have read “Chinese Cinderella” back in 1999 I think.
    I don’t remember a lot except that it made me quite sad, and I remember recommending it to one of my classmates.
    “Childhood” is the kind of book I’d like to re-read...because it was that good.
    We must buy more Memoirs soon, and read them before the book club choose yet another boring book...heheh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you made me want to read “Chinese Cinderella” even more now.
      Yes we must shop for memoirs soon!

      Delete

Post a Comment