Martin Luther King Jr. Speech

Fifty five years ago today, in 1963, Martin Luther King Jr. gave one of the most powerful speeches of all time, I have A Dream.


I love that he chose "I have a dream" as his title because people believed the United States to be a place where dreams come true. Everyone wanted to get a hold of that "American dream", so it was fitting that he should show that he too was an American and had the right to that dream.


"I still have a dream, a dream deeply rooted in the American dream – one day this nation will rise up and live up to its creed, "We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men are created equal." I have a dream..."
Martin Luther King Jr.
 
The speech was a call to end racism and to allow for freedom and equality to all Americans. How very unfortunate though, that his speech is as relevant today as it was at the time. A lot had changed, but not enough to realise his dream.

Comments

  1. I feel a sense of unhappiness when I listen to his powerful speech, because this dream is yet to come true...we are all still living in a divided world.
    I guess no one today is strong enough to do what he did in a time where it was extremely dangerous for someone in his race to do...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment