Afternoon Tea

This week (13th - 19th August) happens to be 'Afternoon Tea Week'. Its idea was established to help secure a tradition that has graced British afternoons since the 1840s. 

Martha Hyer, 1950s                                                   

Afternoon tea originated in England around the mid 19th century, amongst the wealthy social class.

By the late 19th century, the middle social class observed it too. Of course now, everybody does it!

Afternoon tea is served along with:
  • Cucumber sandwiches
  • Egg sandwiches
  • Cress sandwiches
  • Bread and butter
  • Scones (with clotted cream and jam)
  • Cakes and pastries
Nowadays, hotels and cafes don't stick to a traditional afternoon tea menu. They differ, depending on the place, because every place wants to be unique and most people expect that.

I guess not many people are old-fashioned like me...

Afternoon tea for me is a daily ritual. I don't just exercise it on this week alone.
Rasha, my mother and I, usually search for the best places to have our high tea, whilst searching for the best scones.

No matter how many places we try though, no place can make them as good as my mum, so we usually just stay at home and have the most pleasant time together in the privacy of our home.

If you're thinking of having or hosting afternoon tea at home, why not take a few tea making tips from 1941:



Comments

  1. I wanted to say let’s have the exact menu tomorrow then I remembered I can’t have cucumber, cress, egg and bread...hahaha <— not laughing, I’m crying!
    Yes, I wish more people were old fashioned...in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment