What Are Your Favourite Thrillers?

Like with the previous one, today's question is a generalisation of the genre, but you can still list them in categories, if you like.


Thriller films evoke anxiety through suspense often inspired by literature or real life events. Unlike Horror films that are mainly bloody and violent, Thrillers are more psychological.

Today's question is probably the hardest for me..
I tried my best not to have a long list like my Horror list but I failed. Actually it has doubled hahahhaha I think I probably chose everything I had watched!

Anyway, I chose those films which I can enjoy all year long and not just something to watch on October.

I think one of the reasons I like a film depends more or less on whether or not I can stand the lead hehe, so you'll probably find that I like all the stars whose films I've listed.

Since my collection consists of sixteen films hehe I tried to put them into categories:

  • Rebecca (1940) starring Laurence Olivier & Joanne Fontaine
  • Dragonwyck (1946) starring Vincent Price & Gene Tierney
  • My Cousin Rachel (1952) starring Richard Burton & Olivia de Havilland
These three, I would call "Soft Thrillers", as they all have aspects of romance and less of the fear factor.
I've only seen My Cousin Rachel once, but it left me with an unsettling feeling. I love films that make me think even months later.
Rebecca and Dragonwyck I've watched a million times and can never get bored of.

  • Sudden Fear (1952) starring Jack Palance & Joan Crawford
  • Rear Window (1954) starring James Stewart & Grace Kelly
  • The Desperate Hours (1955) starring Fredric March & Humphrey Bogart
  • Charade (1963) starring Cary Grant & Audrey Hepburn
  • Wait Until Dark (1967) starring Audrey Hepburn
These five, I would call "Time-chaser Thrillers", as they all hurray after or away from something/someone and most of the tension is felt towards the final scenes.

The Desperate Hours and Charade, I've only seen once, but fell in love with them instantly. They both have great leads and neither stories are predictable - more so with the latter for me.

Rear Window and Wait Until Dark somehow give me a cosy feeling hehe. I just love to watch them whenever it's windsday.

Sudden Fear has one of the best performances by Jack Palance, though I've never seen him any other way. He's probably the scariest villian!

  • Psycho (1960) starring Anthony Perkins
  • What Ever Happened To Baby Jane (1962) starring Bette Davis & Joan Crawford
  • Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964) starring Bette Davis, Olivia de Havilland & Joseph Cotton
  • The Nanny (1965) starring Bette Davis
These four, I would call "Insane Thrillers", as all of them deal with mentally ill protaganists.

Psycho was the first of the bunch that I had seen and loved it, especially when the whole story was clear. There were parts I didn't like but overall it's an enjoyable film to watch.

Bette Davis is the queen of thrillers. I think if I hadn't watched her films, I wouldn't have loved to watch thrillers as much as I do now. She is the funniest and scariest woman I've ever seen and she was exceptional in all the films I've listed. I just wish she made more thrillers.

The rest I didn't know how to categorise so I'll just list them.

  • Rope (1948) starring James Stewart
  • The Innocents (1961) starring Deborah Kerr
  • Dead Ringer (1964) starring Bette Davis & Peter Lawford
  • I Saw What You Did (1965) starring Joan Crawford & John Ireland
A lot of people had recommended Rope to me over the years, but I never felt like watching it until last month and I was beyond happy. I love films where the whole story takes place in one room. I think it's one of the best Hitchock films I've seen.

The Innocents is the scariest film I have on my list. I couldn't sleep for months after watching. My mind played a lot of tricks on me hehe. I don't think I'll ever watch it again, but I had to put it on my list.

Dead Ringer is the funniest, creepiest and the cleverest film. It is also the most entertaining to watch. I just love freaky twin stories.

I Saw What You Did is the best teen thriller. It is one of the those films that you know should end well but doubt it in the very last minute hehe very amusing.

Well that's all folks!

Comments

  1. LOVE YOUR REVIEW...and your list OBVIOUSLY!!!
    I can’t believe we have the same list...actually I do...hahahha!
    I think I’ll just copy paste my list here to see whether or not it’s the same.
    * Rebecca (1940)
    * Rear Window (1954)
    * Dragonwyck (1946)
    * Psycho (1960)
    * Dead Ringer (1964)
    * What Ever Happened to Baby Jane (1962)
    * Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte (1964)
    * I Saw What You Did (1965)
    * Sudden Fear (1952)
    * Dial M for Murder (1954)
    * Wait Until Dark (1967)
    * The Desperate Hours (1955)
    * Rope (1948)
    ...yes I think almost the same. I didn’t want to add ‘The Innocents’ because I it terrified me, and still does until this day whenever I think about it...hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahha yes me too!
      Oh no I can’t believe I forgot to add Dial M For Murder!!! I had it on my list but I guess while collecting all the posters I forgot to add it!

      Delete

Post a Comment