Bat Week

Bat Week is a celebration of bats and their protection. It is observed for a whole week between 24th to 31st October. It sounded spooky enough for Macabtobre, so I thought I'll post about it today.


Celebrating Bat Week:
I think the best ways to celebrate such events is to learn about the animals by researching about them. If you have children, you can have them join the research and get them to draw their different species or maybe even have them write their own short story or comic about the animal.

Another way to celebrate is to watch bat-related horror films like Dracula and Vampire junk hehehe. But, if you're not into blood-thirsty villians, in the literal sense, then I recommend you watch The Bat, 1959, starring Vincent Price and Agnes Moorehead.  I don't remember much about the film except that I liked it. I'll probably have to watch it again if I am to write a review about it, but I doubt I'll have enough time to squeeze a new one before the end of the month.

The Devil Bat, 1940, starring Bela Lugosi, is also another bat film. It isn't as good as the other one, but the story wasn't that bad.


Have You Ever Encountered A Bat?
I had, quite a number of times when I was a child, in our garden by the swimming pool.
My siblings and I used to swim from around 5PM till dark, unless our parents or aunts and uncles were around, then we were allowed to swim till late.

Anyway, one time while we were in the pool, we saw something pass between us and everyone started guessing what it was. My brother and I were positive it was a bat, but everyone thought it was such a fantastic story, or maybe they didn't want to believe hehe. Then suddenly we heard flapping noises coming from inside one of the vents. My brother inspected the vent and there was a bat, so we all ran out of the pool hahhaa.

After that day, whenever it got dark we all rushed inside because we realised that the trees near the swimming pool were filled with bats hahahha creepy!


We always used to get surprise guests swimming in our pool haha. It somehow feels as though someone had placed them there, so we would leave. Wouldn't it have been funny if my parents had actually been in on it. Maybe they had thrown these animals in just to get us out hahhaa

Nahhhh

or did they...

Comments

  1. Hahhaha...I hate bats, they gave me such horrible nightmares, especially after one tried to get in through the bathroom window while I was having a shower.
    I remember once when we were getting out of the pool because the bats decided to fly above it and everyone walked back to the house so calmly were making wishes because the first star came out...hahaha, and I was terrified and thinking one of us was surely going to die that evening. It was still a much better feeling than imagining Michael Jackson in his werewolf/Thriller costume coming at us from in between the trees like I usually did...hahah!
    I think the Bela Lugosi film was ruined by the lack of emotion from the actors. Hmm...I also remember nothing from ‘The Bat’, maybe because we watched it a very long time ago...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahhaha I remember the bathroom incident poor you hahahaha
      I think everyone must’ve imagined werewolf Michael Jackson at some point while out at night hahaha the garden was sure creepy when it was dark. Whenever we’d walk back to the house when we were done swimming, I used to be so terrified of the trees that I was sure I wouldn’t go back again the next day but I always did hahahha

      Delete

Post a Comment