Apple Day

Today is Apple Day, which is a celebration of all things apple. It is celebrated in the United Kingdom on the last weekend of the month of October.


There are many events held on this day in small or large fairs around the country. The celebrations includes apple games, cooking demonstrations and gardening tips, among others.

I thought I'd include Apple day to the Macabtobre calendar since one of the popular games played in Halloween include apple ducking.

Apple Ducking is a game played by filling a tub with water and apples. Children then have to pick the apples with their mouths while their hands are tied behind their backs. Each child is timed and the fastest is the winner. But rules vary, for some people, the winner can be whoever picked the apple first or for others it can be whoever picks the most apples in a certain time period.


There are many variations of the game too, one of which I remember playing in birthday parties as a child myself. It had the apples hung on a string nd we had to bite into it, blindfolded.

I don't like being blindfolded for anything. Even if I trust the people around me and know nothing will happen, I just can't do it hehe It's strange though, that I don't mind wearing sleep eye masks but can't be blindfolded hahahaha



Queen Grimhilde from Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs, 1937, is the first thing that pops up in mind when I think of apples hehe. She is the scariest villian in my opinion. I was always terrified of her transformation to an old hag hahahaha

Anyway have a wondeful day and don't forget to keep away from poisoned apples!


Comments

  1. She definitely is the scariest and creepiest villain, but I don’t know why I found Maleficent much scarier as a child...hahaha!
    The apple in the tub game is a bit disgusting, unless each child has their own tub of water, then that’s fun. Otherwise I prefer the one we played as children. I also feel the same way about being blindfolded...heheh. Thankfully they used to do it without blindfolds in ‘Penguin’ hahah.
    The Apple fairs must be a lot of fun...we should’ve at least gone once when we lived in London. I imagine it smelling like roasted nuts and apple pies. Oh how I want to be there now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know! Good old London, how I miss it...
      I don’t remember ever hearing about these fairs or anything about apple day before now hahaha we probably even passed by these fairs and didn’t notice.


      PENGUIN HAHAHAHAHHAHA

      Delete

Post a Comment