REVIEW: I Married A Witch (1942)

Title: I Married A Witch
Release Year: 1942
Genre: Fantasy, Comedy and Romance
Cast: Fredric March and Veronica Lake
Plot: A 17th century witch was burned at the stake by Jonathan Wooley so she cursed all future generations of the Wooley family, that the sons will be doomed to have miserable love lives. Centuries later (20th) her spirit came back and she went to the current Wooley to seek revenge.
Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️


Review: This is one of my childhood favourites and I think one of the better known classics to the general public. I used to watch it practically every summer growing up and used to call it "The Witch" film.

The film was an adaptaion of the novel The Passionate Witch by James Thorne Smith. It was published posthumously in 1941, around nine years after his death.

I haven't read the novel yet but will definitely search for it and will let you know if it's as good as the film.

I loved the opening scene of the film, with the first Wooley witnessing the burning of the witch at the stake.
It is actually a common misconception that women were burned in the USA as a measure for getting rid of witches. They were actually hanged instead. Burning was a European method of execution but I guess the film went for the more dramatic of the forms.


All the Wooley men were played by Fredric March. I couldn't stop laughing when we were shown each Wooley suffering with marital problems. From the very start it's like one joke after the other. March was hilarious and perfect as the lead.

Joel McCrea was first chosen for the role of Wooley, but he later turned it down when he realised he would star opposite Lake again. He said that he didn't get along with her in Sullivan's Travels, 1941. March actually didn't get along with Lake either, but he only found that out through this film.

I am not sure as to the creditability of those statements and I don't really believe everything I read unless I see evidence from a video or an article from that time acknowledging it, but I just thought I'll add it here incase I do find something convincing in the future.


Veronica Lake was stunning in this film, I always wished I had her hair and so many women of that time did too. Her hairstyle was so popular, that women styled it that way even at work, which was a big hazard especially in factories during the war. Lake was asked to change her hair to prevent it, which she did, but it sort of ended her career because she no longer had the iconic look she was famous for. Pitty.


When I used to watch this film as a child, I never realised how short Lake was. Only until I saw it again a few years ago did I notice. She's said to be around five feet tall. Not that that had anything to do with my opinion of her. It's just a fact hehe.

Cecil Kellaway as the sorcerer father was creepy. He was absolutely hilarious at times and down right scary in others. Especially when he was driving the taxi hahaha.

Kellaway always plays drunks for some reason but on this film he was practically drunk all the way through. He does do the role justice though.

Elizabeth Patterson is always funny in any role. Infact she can just breath and I'd laugh. Although she was just a maid, for me, she was an intregal part of the film.

This film introduced me to a beautiful song that they used to sing at weddings back in the day - not sure if they still do - it's called I love you truely. I used to think it was a funny song but fell for it eventually. I found a beautiful cover of this song by Bing Crosby too.

I also really enjoyed all the spells like "Pistol, pistol, let there be, Murder in the first degree" and lots more. They were so silly.

I was surprised to know that the film didn't win any award and was only nominated for Best Music. To this day, it is one of the most well known classics, so it doesn't feel like it recieved just credit.

I loved all the cast and the film is still one of my favourites. I always feel nostalgic watching.
I doubt anyone hasn't watched it yet, but if you're one of the small percentage, I recommend you do. Take my word for it, you will not regret it because it's a true classic!

Comments

  1. By far the best review you’re posted yet! I love it very much...and ofcourse the film too...heheh
    You added so much details and made me love it even more.
    I love the casting of this film, it’s one of the few films I watched without thinking they could’ve gotten someone else for the role. And although it was a short film and I always wished it was longer, it was still perfect!
    I laugh so hard every time I watch it, just like watching it the first time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was thinking the same thing great cast!

      Delete

Post a Comment