Mischief Night

I am learning about new holidays everyday, whether national or informal. This one is obviously informal and mostly celebrated by children and teenagers.


The idea behind this celebration is to allow for little light-hearted fun with a prank-filled day.

I don't really like the idea of allowing teenagers to wreak havoc around town, because usually pranks get out of control and jokes today are extremely offensive. Throwing toilet paper is one thing, but egging cars and smashing pumpkins, that families obviously spent time decorating, is not something everybody could accept.


Anyway, when I read "Mischief" one person popped into my mind and that is of course the most mischevious child of all time; Dennis The Menace.

These photographs are not from Dennis The Menace, they are publicity shots of Jay North along with Angela Cartwright and Teddy Rooney when they hosted The Dinah Shore Show Halloween special; "Ghost, Goblins and Kids" in 1960.

I've only recently started watching the show with Rasha - naturally - and we love it so far. Dennis is the cutest because although he is mischievous, he never intends to be.

I remember when I was a child, we used to watch the cartoon version and I think there were a couple of films made in the 1990s as well. I loved the cartoon but hated Dennis in the films. I remember also seeing a few minutes of the classic television show around the same time, but they never aired it on television then, so I never got to watch the series. I was always curious about it though.

I'll write about the show after I've finished the whole series because I can judge it better that way.

What Pranks Did You Do As A Child?
I don't think a single person could say they didn't prank someone at least once as a child or teenager. My siblings and I used to prank eachother a lot. We naturally pranked other people too. Of course my brothers pranked on a different level then us girls haha because boys can be so mean sometimes that they won't stop at anything.

Our pranks, on the other hand, were light-hearted, like prank calling. My sisters and I did that everytime we had friends over, until caller I.D was introduced hahaha

When private calling in mobiles was introduced though, we called random people and sometimes even people we knew. Some recognised us straight away and some wanted to befriend us. I don't remember getting angry reactions, but I do remember some superglues haha

It sort of reminded of I Saw What You Did, 1965. I think if we had seen this film back then, we wouldn't have pranked any strangers hahaha.

Rasha and I used to knock/ring people's doorbells and hide, when we lived in London. We couldn't do it in Oman because our neighbours lived furthur away from us. Besides, it wouldn't be the same because most houses here have remote-controlled gates, so it wouldn't have been any fun hehe

Comments

  1. Superglues HAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Remember when we prank called my friend and you changed your voice and spoke to her. After the weekend in school she told everyone she had a stalker who had a scary voice hahaha. She was terrified!!!
    Pranks that ruin people decorations or break things is absolutely stupid...but knocking on people’s door and prank calling was the best thing EVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahha that was so embarrassing for you hahaha

      Delete
  2. This post is too funny I cant stop laughing I had no idea you did that in London😂
    The movie I saw what you did is a great thriller ... Iremember watching it in our seeb house and it scared me a lot but my friends and I started calling ppl saying I saw what you did and then closing the phone which was so silly yet we found it hilarious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha yes we did a lot of crazy things in London I’m just glad we were never caught hehe

      Hahahahaha that prank calling is actually hilarious and it’s funnier for the people you pranked hehehe

      Delete

Post a Comment